Welcome to the Year One section of the website. Look out for regular updates to find out what the children have been learning and experiencing.
Teachers: Miss McLaughlin (Monday-Thursday) Mrs Gomme (Friday)
Teaching Assistant: Ms Tompkin (Monday-Friday)
Routine and Information
- PE kits should be worn all day on our PE days. Year 1 PE days this term are: Tuesday and Friday.
- Forest School will be on a Friday.
- Homework will be set on a Wednesday and handed in the following Monday.
- Spellings form part of the homework. However these will be set on a Wednesday and tested on the following Monday. Your child should practice this spellings across the week.
- Please listen to your child read five times a week and comment in their reading journals.
- Uniform – Please see the updated uniform expectations document on the parents page.
We welcome you to come and speak to us if you have any queries. Please leave a message with the staff member at the gate if you cannot see a member of the Year 1 team. Time is limited in the mornings and not particularly private, so the end of the day is preferable if it can wait.
What are we learning about this term?
Theme: Amazing Africa
Link text: Quill Soup
Our topic this term is 'Amazing Africa' and our key text is Quill Soup. We have created some Sunset Africa pictures as a hook to start off our topic.
Our theme this term is:
Below you will find the Medium Term Plan for this term along with KVCs.
ICT Week (22.01.2024)
This week we have investigated digital painting. As our topic is Amazing Africa, we looked at traditional African patterns with the use of colours and geometric shapes within. The children have created their own designs on paper before creating on iPads. Finally, the children have completed a compare on contrast into ordinary painting and digital painting. The children all agreed that is was more difficult to create on iPads than it is with pencil and paper.
Trip to the church for Prayer Space.
This term we have taken a trip to the church to part-take in various activities to think about ourselves and others. At the end of the session some children explained they felt calm, grateful, joyful and happy.
This term the children have taken part in Box2BeFit Workshop where the children took part in various exercises.